I was excited to see this morning that I was tagged in a post on Bex and Roz’s fantastic Olive Dragonfly blog. They’ve answered lots of questions about themselves (go and have a read!) and have given me 11 questions to answer about myself, so here goes…
Liebster Award Meme
The rules are to share 11 facts about yourself, answer the 11 questions then choose 11 bloggers to tag for the meme and make up 11 different questions for them.
11 facts about me
- I studied Russian at University and lived in St Petersburg and Moscow for about a year as part of my degree. That year saw some of the best and worst times of my life.
- I hate bananas but wish I liked them.
- I met my husband, Tom, at school when we were 16. I say ‘met’, but I’m not sure tapping him on the shoulder in a Chemistry lesson and asking him to go to the cinema with me because my friends had already been to see this film without me counts as ‘meeting’.
- I have a little scar on my top lip that comes from an accident when I was about 10 involving some Easter egg boxes, a bungee rope and two of my siblings. I genuinely was only watching them play, but ended up with several stitches in my lip for weeks. Thanks, guys.
- As well as once being able to speak almost fluent Russian (not sure how far I’d get now, though), I can also speak French, Spanish, a very tiny bit of Portuguese and some Serbian and Croatian.
- One of my proudest achievements is winning the award of Students Union Best Departmental Society when I was President of the Slavonic Society at university.
- One of my pet peeves is seeing superfluous apostrophes on printed signs for cafes – why is it “pizzas, sandwiches, rolls” but “panini’s”?!
- I have no arches on my feet.
- I would eat pasta everyday if I could – I love it so much!
- In my house, I do the clothes washing and Tom does the washing up because I always seem to break something when I wash up.
- I’m really good at making white sauces.
11 questions from Bex and Roz
- What is your favourite song in the whole world and why? Better Together by Jack Johnson is the song that gives me the most emotional reaction as it makes me think of Tom and is what I walked down the aisle to on our wedding day.
- If you were invisible, where would you go? Very sadly I would probably go into my office and see how they’re doing without me whilst I’m on maternity leave. Wow, that is a boring answer.
- What is your favourite way to relax? Having dinner with my husband.
- Salted or sweet? I’ll have to say sweet as I don’t like overly salty things, but if this question was sweet or savory, I would have said savory.
- What was the last film that really moved / disturbed / thrilled you and why? I found Girl with the Dragon Tattoo really disturbing and did not enjoy it at all because I thought it was overly graphic and not my kind of thing. I certainly won’t be reading the books now!
- What book are you reading right now? The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern, on Bex’s recommendation.
- What would you call yourself if you could choose your own name? That is so hard as I don’t really like my name very much, but I have always said I would never change it. I’m an Esme, through and through it seems.
- If you could have any animal / creature, what would be your ultimate pet? Dolphins were my favourite animal when I was younger and I still think they’re amazing, so we’ll go for that.
- What’s the next planned event you’re looking forward to in your life? Having a baby!
- What was your favourite toy as a child….and now? I loved my Sylvanian Families when I was a child and now it would have to be my digital/Internet radio.
- When was the last time you cried laughing and why? It’s really annoying me that I can remember that this happened really recently, but I cannot remember what happened! It was something Tom had said that I just found absolutely hilarious. Stupid pregnancy brain…
11 questions for other bloggers
- What’s your favourite object in your home?
- If you had to live on one food for the rest of your life, what would it be?
- What’s your favourite quotation?
- Who or what do you find inspirational?
- What was the best part of your day yesterday?
- And the worst?
- Can you speak any other languages?
- How much caffeine do you drink a day?
- What item of clothing do you wear the most often?
- When you were a child, what did you want to be when you were older?
- Who would you invite to your dream dinner party?
I’m not going to link to specific blogs because they would be the same group again and again, so I’ll just leave these for anyone to answer. Let me know!
And, because why not, a random picture of me in Moscow to prove that I did live there (although I’m aware that it doesn’t really prove anything):